First Coast Guard District.
LOCAL NOTICE TO MARINERS June, 2004
Update to the heightened security in the Port of NY & NJ, December 24, 2003
The Coast Guard has set MARSEC Level 1 in the Port of New York/New Jersey. The maritime community shall take appropriate security measures in accordance with previously released NVICs. As a reminder, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) encourages the maritime public to report information concerning suspicious activity to their local Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) Office, or to other appropriate authorities. Individuals can contact the DHS Watch and Warning Unit at (202) 323-3205, toll free at 1-888-585-9078, or by e-mail to: email@example.com.
The U.S. Coast Guard reminds the maritime industry that they may also report information concerning suspicious activity to the National Response Center (NRC) toll free at 1-800-424-8802. For more information mariners are encouraged to visit http://www.harborops.com/.
Effective immediately the Vessel Traffic Service New York will no longer require recreational vessels and boats entering or transiting these waterways to check in with the Coast Guard. LNM 02/04 (CGD1)
SAFETY/SECURITY OF U. S. NAVAL VESSELS
The Coast Guard has established temporary regulations for the safety or security of U.S. Naval Vessels in the navigable waters of the United States. Effective
immediately Naval Vessel protection zones are established within 500 yards of any U.S. Naval Vessel. This includes any vessel owned, operated, chartered, or
leased by the U.S. Navy or under the operational control of the U.S. Navy. All vessels within 500 yards of a U.S. Naval vessel shall operate at the minimum
speed necessary to maintain a safe course and proceed as directed by the Official Patrol (a Coast Guard Commissioned, Warrant or Petty Officer; or the
Commanding Officer of a U.S. Naval Vessel or his or her designee). No vessel or person is allowed within 100 yards of a U.S. Naval vessel, unless authorized
by the Official Patrol. Vessels requesting to pass within 100 yards of a U.S. Naval Vessel shall contact the Official Patrol on VHF-FM Ch 16. Violations of
these regulations may be prosecuted as a felony punishable by a fine or imprisonment.
ANY VESSEL OR PERSON IN THE WATER IS NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE FOLLOWING SECURITY ZONES:
- Within 150 yards of Liberty and Ellis Islands;
- United Nations, in the East River along the Manhattan shoreline from 125 yards offshore at the Queensboro Bridge to 175 yards offshore at East 35th Street;
- Within 25 yards of all bridge piers or abutments, overhead power cables and tunnel ventilators in the waters of the greater NY area and along the Hudson River;
- Within 100 yards of all anchored or moored Coast Guard vessels,
- Around Piers 84-96, Manhattan, bound by the following points: the northeast corner of Pier 96 where it intersects the seawall, thence to approximate position 40°46’23.1"N, 073°59’59.0"W, thence to approximate position 40°45’55.3"N, 074°00’20.2"W (NAD 1983), thence to the southeast corner of Pier 84 where it intersects the seawall, thence along the shoreline to the point of origin;
- The Indian Point Nuclear Power Station on the Hudson River. Within 300-yards of approximate position (41°16’12.4˛N, 073°57’16.2˛W).
All vessels transiting the Hudson River in the vicinity of Indian Point are subject to random Coast Guard boardings.
RECREATIONAL VESSELS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE FOLLOWING SECURITY ZONES:
- All waters between the Military Ocean and Global Marine Terminals west of the New Jersey Pier Head channel;
- Within a 25-yard radius of every waterfront facility, as
defined in 33 CFR 6.01-4; and
- Within a 100-yard radius of any passenger ship, or vessel,
or barge carrying petroleum, or chemical, products in bulk.
NY/NJ - NEW YORK HARBOR - HUDSON RIVER - Diving operations will be performed at the Pier at Battery Park along the Hudson River through 15 April
2004 during daylight hours. Mariners are advised to transit the area with caution and proceed at a no wake speed.
NY/NJ, Upper NY Bay, The Battery, Bay 6/15-16 1800-2100 Sailing Regatta / 12334 Ridge & Jersey Flats 6/19 1330-1700 Manhattan Sailing Club
NY/NJ, Hudson River, between Liberty Landing and Haverstraw Bay 6/19 6/20 RD 1100-1800 NYC Powerboat Poker Run